But how can this happen?
Did you know that when you smell an essential oil, those volatile aromatic molecules mist out of your bottle and make their way to your nose? That’s why you can smell them, even from a distance!
And once they reach your nose, those little molecules trigger some “cilia” (little hairs) that extend from your olfactory epithelium (a piece of skin that sits at the top of your nose). And those cilia are actually brain cells! They are extremely long, with one end being the hair, and the other end running all the way to your subconscious mind.
That’s why aromas are so powerful, and can trigger not only memory recall, but a reconnection with the emotions associated with that memory. Some smells will uplift you (think bright lemon aromas), some smells will calm you (think lavender and cedarwood), and some smells will revitalize you (think Peppermint and Basil).
So never underestimate the incredible power present in aromas, and your beautiful nose!
An exquisite combination of aromas
Today, I want to share with you a recipe I created for a special Oily team event that I ran back in February 2020. It remains one of my favourite aromas to this day! It contains an exquisite combination of Blue Tansy, Lavender, Lemon Myrtle, Orange and more. There is simply no way of describing how exquisite its aroma is – you need to experience it for yourself!
You can do what I did, and turn it into a body scrub. Or you can experiment and combine these aromas in your diffuser, or in some vegetable oil and use it as a roll-on (without the salt, of course).
But first, a word of caution. Many (and in fact most) essential oils on the market today are adulterated. World demand far exceeds supply, so unscrupulous suppliers have found very creative ways of adulterating and extending their oils with chemicals or cheaper oils. This can allow synthetic chemicals and other toxins onto your skin, which can cause irritation and harm.
That’s why I use and recommend the Young Living Essential Oils. Please contact me for more information on how to obtain these.
The most amazing scrub you will ever smell….
And now, to our recipe…. In a 50ml jar, mix:
- 1/4 cup celtic sea salt. This mineral-rich and revitalising natural salt is collected from the seashore around Brittany (France), and is a fabulous skin antioxidant.
- 40ml coconut oil. This beautiful oil is rich in medium chain fatty acids, helping it to prevent skin dryness and premature aging of the skin. If possible, obtain fractionated coconut oil, because this will stay liquid, even in lower temperatures.
- 6 drops of Orange oil. This uplifting oil is obtained from the rind of Oranges. It reduces puffiness of the skin, and the appearance of skin blemishes. Emotionally, it inspires joy and light-heartedness, and dispels irritability, tension and frustration.
- 2 drops of Lavender oil. Lavender is an aromatic “Rescue Remedy”, extracted from the flowers and buds of the lavender bush. Lavender oil supports the Chi of the heart, inspiring creativity and self-expression, and at the same time calming and soothing. It’s the perfect oil for rejuvenating skin tone and complexion.
- 2 drops of Lemon Myrtle oil. This Australian rainforest tree has often been described as “More lemon than lemon!” It was first distilled in 1890 near Eumundi (QLD) by a German doctor. Not only is it emotionally uplifting – it also inspires feelings of ecstasy. It helps to cleanse and purify the skin, and is perfect for use on sagging and devitalised skin.
- 1 drop of Blue Cypress oil. This is another Australian native tree, which grows in plantations around Darwin. It used to be used as timber for the construction of houses. But after Cyclone Tracy devastated the city of Darwin in December 1974, damaging or demolishing at least 90% of homes, the Blue Cypress wood was abandoned in favour of steel in the building industry. Now, the wood is distilled to make a deep, rich blue essential oil that is high in guaiazulene. It’s emotionally soothing and relaxing, and great for sleep, and helps to regulate the oiliness of skin and scalp.
- 1 drop of Blue Tansy oil. This is one of the more expensive essential oils that you can buy. Its wholesale price is $1.56 per drop….and if you are familiar with the Young Living range of oils, you will recognize its aroma because it’s part of our very popular blends of Valor and Peace & Calming. Its rich blue colour comes from chamazulene, which is related to the guaiazulene found in Blue Cypress. Azulene comes from the Spanish word “Azul” which means “dark blue”. Blue Tansy is deeply balancing to the emotions, and helps to reconnect us to our Spirit, as it transports our mind and senses into Heaven!
- 1/2 gram of ground Frankincense resin. The Ancient Egyptians used Frankincense in their rejuvenation face masks. It’s a Universal oil, able to be used in most situations. When in doubt, reach for Frankincense. It’s wonderful for the skin, helping to reduce the appearance of blemishes. It’s super nourishing for dry, mature or sensitive skin, and it’s just a fabulous restorative for the skin. No wonder Queen Cleopatra loved it! And spiritually, it reconnects us to God, the Universe, and to each other.
If you would love to receive our essential oils bulletin from The Oil Temple, CLICK HERE to subscribe